Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Deadmau5's "> album title goes here <" full review, released today on Beatport, iTunes

Deadmau5
The Toronto electronic music prodigy known as Deadmau5 is at it again, and if it can be believed, this album is hands-down his best so far.

I had completely forgotten the album was set to release today, but luckily I awoke this morning to find my iPhone promptly reminding me to "wake up and buy deadmau5's new album!!!". Today was obligation-free so I grabbed a copy and my car keys and took a long and aimless drive down to the Jersey shore to run the album through its paces.

The album kicks immediately into the sinister track, "Superliminal", which paves the way for his hard-hitting electro collaboration with Wolfgang Gartner, "Channel 42". Next you'll find an 8-minute extended cut of "The Veldt", with vocals by Chris James. "The Veldt", for those who were unaware, is an ode to Ray Bradbury's 1950's short-story "The World the Children Made", which was one of the few things I enjoyed reading in AP Literature. The track itself has a euphoric melody and Chris James' vocals seal the deal on what might be the best track of the group.

Next, I was immersed in three dirty complextro tracks, "Fn Pig", "Professional Griefers", and "Maths". Of the three, "Professional Griefers" took the cake for me; the angst-y vocals by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance give the track a interesting alt-rock sound that played well to my personal tastes.

Back up the rollercoaster ride that was this album, "There Might be Coffee" initially gave me some "Strobe" vibes, but then picked up and carried me into "Take Care of the Proper Paperwork", an ominous track with a post-rock spin. Some more traditional Deadmau5 followed with "Closer" and "October", before you cruise to the end of the album with mellow electronica tracks "Sleepless" and "Telemiscommunications" sandwiched around a hip-hop collab with Cypress Hill called "Failbait".

There is a lot to love about "> album title goes here <"; while you will find many of Joel's signature sounds littered throughout the album, he also has a handful of tracks that push the boundaries of electronic music in ways that are refreshing and fun. While I love the "instant" access to their music that many producers offer us through releasing EPs, an album allows the producer to create an adventure for the listener that just can't be replicated through a 4-track EP. Go grab a copy on Beatport or iTunes today and enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

  1. This album is also my favorite from him so far. Can't stop listening to "Telemiscommunications"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, I love the minimalism going on and Imogen Heap's vocals really tie everything together

    ReplyDelete